Bug #710: Fail To Create/Drop Temporary Table IN PL/PGSQL

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #710: Fail To Create/Drop Temporary Table IN PL/PGSQL
Date: 2002-07-12 01:13:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

CNLIOU (cnliou(at)eurosport(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Fail To Create/Drop Temporary Table IN PL/PGSQL

Long Description
Hi!

In TODO list, it reads in sub section

"Fix problems with complex temporary table creation/destruction without using PL/PgSQL EXECUTE, needs cache prevention/invalidation"

in section "SERVER-SIDE LANGUAGES".

According to this statement, I am in the impression that I can create/destruct temporary table with "execute" statement, but actually I can't.

Perhaps this can be added to TODO list, too.

Also, being unable to use temporary table in PL/PGSQL, I can not proceed working on part of my project.

Best Regards,

CN

Sample Code
CREATE FUNCTION test() RETURNS BOOLEAN AS '
DECLARE
n INTEGER;
BEGIN
EXECUTE ''CREATE TEMP TABLE temp1 (MyField INTEGER)'';
INSERT INTO temp1 VALUES(8);

SELECT MyField INTO n FROM temp1 LIMIT 1;
RAISE NOTICE ''%'',n;

EXECUTE ''DROP TABLE temp1'';
RETURN TRUE;
END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

database=# select test();
NOTICE: 8
test
------
(1 row)

database=# select test();
NOTICE: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function test
NOTICE: line 5 at SQL statement
ERROR: Relation 1118219 does not exist

No file was uploaded with this report