Re: initdb failing: Invalid binary "/usr/bin/postgres"?

From: dbruzzone(at)attbi(dot)com
To: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb failing: Invalid binary "/usr/bin/postgres"?
Date: 2002-07-08 23:05:59
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
That did it (Although as Jim George suggested, it
wasn't happy until I added both read and execute
privileges to the executable)! Thank you...

BTW, the executable had only "rwx" for the user when I
did an ls -al!...

Don't know what caused this... The Cygwin installation
is a fresh one, and I installed it on the machine as
another user.

--
Thanks again...

Dave
> > $ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
> > [snip]
> > initializing pg_shadow... FindExec: invalid binary "/usr/bin/postgres"
> > FATAL 1:  /usr/bin/postgres: could not locate executable, bailing out...
>
> I was able to reproduce the above problem by doing the following:
>
>     $ chmod g-x,o-x /usr/bin/postgres.exe
>
> > If I go and look in /usr/bin, I find postgres.exe, and postmaster
> > (Which is a symlink to postgres.exe).
>
> What is the output of the following?
>
>     $ ls -l /usr/bin/postgres.exe
>     -rwxrw-rw-    1 Administ Domain U  2708992 Jun 10 08:13
> /usr/bin/postgres.exe
>           ^  ^
>           *  *
>
> If it is the same as or similar to the above (i.e., missing group and/or
> other execute permissions), then do the following to fix your
> permissions:
>
>     $ chmod +x /usr/bin/postgres.exe
>
> Does this solve your problem?
>
> > Has anyone seen this before?
>
> No.
>
> > Can anyone point me in the direction of some information regarding
> > this problem?
>
> See above
>
> But, the really question is why did your permissions get whacked if my
> WAG is correct?

pgsql-cygwin by date

Next:From: BeeSoldDate: 2002-07-09 00:51:20