Re: psql 7.2.1: \d (alone) missing from \?

From: Jay Berkenbilt <ejb(at)ql(dot)org>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql 7.2.1: \d (alone) missing from \?
Date: 2002-06-28 20:16:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> >
> > This problem is so simple, the subject pretty much says it all. For
> > the sake of completeness, I'm running PostgreSQL 7.2.1 as supplied by
> > RedHat in their 7.3 release for i386. This bug report pertains only
> > to the psql front end.
> >
> > The command
> >
> > \d
> >
> > all by itself (with no arguments) lists all relations along with the
> > type and owner. This fact is, however, not mentioned in the help
> > message you get with \?, which lists loads of other things you can
> > with \d but forgets to mention \d all by itself.
>
> I see it in psql 7.2.1 with \?:
>
> \d [NAME] describe table (or view, index, sequence)
>
> Don't you have that line?

No. I have

\d TABLE describe table (or view, index, sequence)

but it gives no indication that TABLE is optional or of what happens
if you omit it. Here's the output of my \?.

-----------

\a toggle between unaligned and aligned output mode
\c[onnect] [DBNAME|- [USER]]
connect to new database (currently "acb2002")
\C TITLE set table title
\cd [DIRNAME] change the current working directory
\copy ... perform SQL COPY with data stream to the client host
\copyright show PostgreSQL usage and distribution terms
\d TABLE describe table (or view, index, sequence)
\d{t|i|s|v}... list tables/indexes/sequences/views
\d{p|S|l} list access privileges, system tables, or large objects
\da list aggregate functions
\dd NAME show comment for table, type, function, or operator
\df list functions
\do list operators
\dT list data types
\e FILENAME edit the current query buffer or file with external editor
\echo TEXT write text to standard output
\encoding ENCODING set client encoding
\f STRING set field separator
\g FILENAME send SQL command to server (and write results to file or |pipe)
\h NAME help on syntax of SQL commands, * for all commands
\H toggle HTML output mode (currently off)
\i FILENAME execute commands from file
\l list all databases
\lo_export, \lo_import, \lo_list, \lo_unlink
large object operations
\o FILENAME send all query results to file or |pipe
\p show the content of the current query buffer
\pset VAR set table output option (VAR := {format|border|expanded|
fieldsep|null|recordsep|tuples_only|title|tableattr|pager})
\q quit psql
\qecho TEXT write text to query output stream (see \o)
\r reset (clear) the query buffer
\s FILENAME print history or save it to file
\set NAME VALUE set internal variable
\t show only rows (currently off)
\T TEXT set HTML table tag attributes
\unset NAME unset (delete) internal variable
\w FILENAME write current query buffer to file
\x toggle expanded output (currently off)
\z list table access privileges
\! [COMMAND] execute command in shell or start interactive shell

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb(at)ql(dot)org>
http://www.ql.org/q/