Re: [Fwd: [GENERAL] [Please Help!!!!!!!!] Problem in

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: gordon(at)gforce(dot)ods(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [GENERAL] [Please Help!!!!!!!!] Problem in
Date: 2002-06-27 07:01:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Ok, but problem is, when i try encode with unicode, it also reject
> me.... invalid UNICODE charater.... :-(

Show me the entire error message please.

> I already try few client, like borland's SQL explorer, zde... and
> restore program come with postgresql...
>
> Sorry, i would like to a special request. After i read preious message
> from you to Gene Leung, let me fully understand under EUC_TW rule ,
> postgresql should reject me (input such invalid charaters). So i request
> a special patch that could to support Big5 or disable the validation.
>
> If postgres do not support Big5, that is big problem in chinese...
> Please help.

Actually PostgreSQL does support Big5. To use Big5, set the client
encoding to Big5 and set the server(DB) encoding to EUC_TW. PostgreSQL
will take care of the conversion between Big5 and EUC_TW.

There are several ways to set the client encoding to Big5:

SQL: set client_encoding to 'Big5';
from psql: \encoding Big5
using environment variable: export PGCLIENTENCODING=Big5 (example for bash)

Hope this helps,
--
Tatsuo Ishii