Re: Posgresql - openoffice-JDBC

From: Timothy Reaves <treaves(at)silverfields(dot)com>
To: Glenn Holmer <gholmer(at)weycogroup(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Posgresql - openoffice-JDBC
Date: 2002-06-27 02:08:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:10:38 -0500
Glenn Holmer <gholmer(at)weycogroup(dot)com> wrote:

> Timothy Reaves wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:53:40 -0500
> > Glenn Holmer <gholmer(at)weycogroup(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> >>I can't get that to work. I added (in our case)
> >>
> >>/java/postgresql/pgjdbc2.jar
> >>
> >>to the end of the SystemClasspath line, then started OpenOffice and
> >>entered a data source of (again, for our case)
> >>
> >>jdbc:postgresql://miranda:5432/catalog
> >>

> > Where did that driver come from?
>
> jdbc.postgresql.org
>
> > Also, the 5432 is redundent.
>
> But not harmful, yes?
>

> > Have you tried connecting to a local db?
>
> You mean on my machine using "localhost"? Yes, same story. BTW,
> the database on "miranda" is a production database which a Java
> program uses, so it's not a Postgres issue.

Correct; it will not harm to specify the port.

The jdbc driver I use is not the one directly available from the jdbc
site, but is the one that ships with PostgreSQL itself. Unfortunatly I
have found that there are at least thre different ODBC & three different
JDBC drivers. The ODBC shiped with PostgreSQL did not work - I use the
one from unixODBC, but the jdbc does work. Perhaps try that driver.

Does the postmaster log file show anything from when you attempt to
connect? Also, try the local connect string: jdbc:postgresql:databasename
when the db is local, no host name is needed.