Re: Where is PLbash ??

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Howe <howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-interfaces-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Friedrich Dodt <friedrich(dot)dodt(at)efonds24(dot)de>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is PLbash ??
Date: 2002-06-26 03:12:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Steve Howe wrote:
> >
> > Hello Bruce,
> >
> > Tuesday, June 25, 2002, 2:54:06 PM, you wrote:
> >
> > BM> Well, sending an email is something only PL/sh can do. I don't see the
> > Pl/Python, or PL/Perl can do it easily too (even without opening
> > external processes I mean). PL/TCL certainly should do it too.
> >

> Well, PL/TclU can do
>
> set sm [socket localhost smtp]
> puts $sm "HELO PostgreSQL"
> close $sm
>
> Underneath eMail is still a telnet style protocol and well documented
> too. Noone needs a damned shell with all it's portability and security
> problems to generate a simple eMail notification.

So the people have to learn the SMTP protocol to send email. No wonder
people say PostgreSQL is hard to learn. ;-)

Some people just want to get the job done, and they will worry about
performance later. The shell is a powerful way to do that. Why do we
spend most of our time at shell prompts anyway?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us