Re: Postgres idea list

From: nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org (Neil Conway)
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres idea list
Date: 2002-06-25 21:31:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 07:03:39PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> 3. Combine pg_hba.conf, pg_ident.conf, and postgresql.conf into a single
> file, postgres.conf.

I don't see why this would be a win.

> Have a command-line tool to make changes.

You mean like vi(1) ? :-)

> Have a way to test out the changes, similar to "apachectl configtest"

Not sure about this -- I can see the importance of testing out
configuration changes, but AFAICS "pg_ctl configtest" would be
little more than a glorified syntax check. I think we need to rely on
DBA's to ensure that the configuration changes they make are valid.

> 4. Fix the documentation. The interactive documentation on the website
> is particularly bad: try a search on "sequence", for example. The result
> is 65 matches, and each one a filename.

I've heard this from others as well.

> 5. The website needs lots of improvement, on layout, navigation, and
> content. mySQL actually has this one right.

Agreed.

> Release more often, even if more minor:

Why? I think the PostgreSQL release engineering process is good.

> stick to beta deadlines strictly.

Why? I'd much prefer that we release code when we are (relatively)
sure it is ready for production use, rather than shoving experimental
code out the door to meet an artificial and probably unrealistic
release target.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC