Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a

From: nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org (Neil Conway)
To: cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a
Date: 2002-06-25 21:19:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 02:34:59PM -0400, cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com wrote:
> The _crucial_ marketing that would need to take place is NOT to the public.
> It would be to:
> a) ISPs
> b) Vendors of ISP support software.
>
> The sort of thing that has allowed MySQL to get really popular is the fact
> that there are tools like cPanel <http://www.cpanel.net/> that provide a
> "friendly" front end to manage web site 'stuff,' including managing MySQL.

One consideration is that prior to 7.3, PostgreSQL's permissions scheme
made it difficult or impossible use in a shared-hosting environment (or
at least, that's what I've heard from several different people -- I
don't have any personal experience).

I'm aware that there are people offering PostgreSQL hosting, but the
*perception* among the hosting techies I've talked to is that MySQL's
feature set is better suited for a shared hosting environment. With
schemas and improved permissions in 7.3, that may be a thing of the
past (at which point, ISPs might be a prime area for marketing).

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC