Re: Where is PLbash ??

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Friedrich Dodt <friedrich(dot)dodt(at)efonds24(dot)de>,pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is PLbash ??
Date: 2002-06-25 18:19:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Nonsense --- a quick system() call in plperlu or pltclu can do it
> >> just as well, or even launch a shell script if you insist on coding
> >> your mistakes in sh...
>
> > Well, if they are going to call system() from perl, why don't we just
> > give them PL/sh and they can do it directly.
>
> There's a difference between making a dangerous thing possible and
> encouraging people to do it.  But I'll wait and see what Peter thinks.

I think Peter agrees with you.  My point is that we can PL/sh and
document it's limitations.  With perl, the ability is there but it isn't
obviouis why it is a problem.  Also, there must be some things you can
do in PL/sh that aren't transaction problems.

In my view, there are lots of people who need shell access from
PostgreSQL, and they are naturally going to try to use PL/sh.  When they
do, we can explain the limitations.  I don't see how not giving them
PL/sh prevents them from doing transaction-unsafe things.

Usually, people using PL/sh want to do something that is
transaction-unsafe by nature.

Also, there is a wiz-bang aspect to being able to do shell scripts in
the backend that has a certain "marketing" value.