Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: James Hubbard <jhubbard(at)mcs(dot)uvawise(dot)edu>
Cc: Dave Cramer <dave(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution
Date: 2002-06-25 16:23:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

James Hubbard wrote:
> I don't normally post to this list, but have a crazy suggestion that is a
> little farfetched.
>
> Suggestion:
> Fix the portability problems so that there is a Windows native version of
> PostgreSQL. Then offer the Open Office organization PostgreSQL as the
> project's database. This would increase the user base my leaps and bounds.

OK, we just started heavy discussion on this and I believe a few people
are actively working on this. The timeframe is 3-6 months, though we
have the Cygwin solution right now.

> The problem is that using and administrating PostgreSQL can be complex. Also,
> some people may automatically assume that PostgreSQL is a low end database not
> capable of doing more than being used as a backend for a free office app. Of
> course we all know better.

OK, I have heard this before, but I would like to know specifically how
is PostgreSQL harder to administer than MySQL. Knowing that will help
us address the issue.

> Maybe a PostgreSQL-Lite would be a better idea. One that condenses the main
> code down to something easy, that a desktop user could use, but maintain the
> strength of the core code. I suppose that means creating another project.

Perhaps a config utility that asked you questions and modified template1
and the config files. How about that?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us