Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution
Date: 2002-06-25 18:30:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just a personal observation here, based on the work we've been doing
lately ... there are *alot* of very large companies out there, one of
which we just did onsite training for that I swear has an article in just
about every trade magazine I read, each month ... the problem isn't
getting companies to adopt/use PgSQL ... the problem is getting them to
acknowledge its usage ...

And, quite frankly, until the BigO loses its grip, I really don't see them
coming out of the closet and admitting to using PgSQL ... why? I don't
know abotu you, but all I can imagine in my head is a horde of O-salesman
descending on the company wondering why they switched and how can they
convince them otherwise, etc, etc ...

I know ... I deal with those salesman all the time, from Oracle to Sun to
Microsoft ...

The problem, as I see it, is everyone moaning cause we aren't the #1
database for the Web ... who cares? How many sites out there don't even
*need* a database backend in the first place? Someone throws MySQL onto
that and thiks its the best thing since sliced bread, even though the
table contains a single record ...

The markets that matter, enterprise databases, we are making inroads into
and quite substantial ones, but due to 'internal politics', you aren't
going to hear about them ...

How many ppl here can honestly say they know of *at least* one company, if
not more, that are using PgSQL, but don't advertise, or let known, that
fact? I can think of a half dozen that we (PgSQL, Inc) have worked with
to convert, and train, so far ... Tom, call it RedHat DB or PgSQL, its the
same code base ... any numbers from that end? Bruce, how about from SRA?