Re: several minor cleanups

From: nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org (Neil Conway)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: several minor cleanups
Date: 2002-06-25 14:11:16
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 04:53:17PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org> writes:
> ***************
> *** 251,257 ****
>   	ExecCheckRTPerms(parseTree->rtable, operation);
>
>   	/*
> ! 	 * Search for subplans and APPEND nodes to check their rangetables.
>   	 */
>   	ExecCheckPlanPerms(plan, parseTree->rtable, operation);
>   }
> --- 251,257 ----
>   	ExecCheckRTPerms(parseTree->rtable, operation);
>
>   	/*
> ! 	 * Search for subplans and INSERT nodes to check their rangetables.
>   	 */
>   	ExecCheckPlanPerms(plan, parseTree->rtable, operation);
>   }
> ***************
>
> This comment was right beforehand and is so no longer :-(.

Woops, s/append/insert/g was a bit over-enthusiastic. A revised
patch is attached (it's also updated for CVS HEAD).

> Otherwise I'm okay with this, if we don't mind the probability of
> breaking existing client applications that are looking for ExecAppend:
> messages.

I would be skeptical of any client application that tries to
divine information about the result of an operation by inspecting
error messages. IMHO, such an approach is hopelessly fragile
without error codes (or at least a well-defined set of
possible errors for a given query).

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC