Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: James Hubbard <jhubbard(at)mcs(dot)uvawise(dot)edu>,Dave Cramer <dave(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution
Date: 2002-06-25 17:40:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Maybe a PostgreSQL-Lite would be a better idea.  One that condenses the main
> code down to something easy, that a desktop user could use, but maintain the
> strength of the core code.  I suppose that means creating another project.

Personally, I think it's a redundant idea.   There are a couple dozen
"lightweight" RDBMSs available off Sourceforge.   There is only one
"Heavy-duty" database:  Us.

> Others are considering MySQL.

Let me nip this in the bud:  That proposal was shot down almost immediately,
mostly due to MySQL's poor adherence to the SQL standard and licensing
problems.   I also shot down PostgreSQL as a possibility for inclusion with, since Postgres is quite firmly a *server* database, and 70%
of installs are on Windows 95/98.

Currently, we are leaning toward HSQLDB as our included database.   However,
you can help us decide:  join the project

Something we could really, really use for is "native" (SBDC)
drivers for PostgreSQL.  Currently, we have to use UnixODBC or MS ODBC, which
brings all sorts of problems with it.  Can anyone help with  a driver?

Once we get a native driver, will be available as an MS
Access-style tool for simple PostgreSQL database management.   This should
increase adoption of Postgres somewhat.

-Josh Berkus