[repost] trigger update time

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [repost] trigger update time
Date: 2002-06-19 08:36:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

I hope I'm not transgressing the boundaries of list etiquette - I didn't
get a response to my first message so I've retitled it and resubmitted
it here.

I am trying to update a timestamp value in a related table using
functions and triggers, but failing miserably! I'd be grateful for some
help.

CREATE TABLE "a" (
"id" SERIAL,
"tstamp" timestamp
);

CREATE TABLE "b" (
"id" SERIAL,
"a_id" integer,
"tstamp" timestamp default current_timestamp.
);

CREATE FUNCTION "fnTU" () RETURNS opaque AS 'BEGIN
UPDATE a SET tstamp = new.tstamp;
WHERE new.a_id = id;
RETURN new;
END' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER "trgTU" AFTER INSERT ON "b" FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
PROCEDURE "fnTU" ();

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>