Re: PostgreSQL serials in MS-Access are writable, but they are supposed to be read-only

From: "Joel Burton" <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
To: "Antti Toivanen" <antti(dot)toivanen(at)telemerkki(dot)fi>,<pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL serials in MS-Access are writable, but they are supposed to be read-only
Date: 2002-06-04 01:11:32
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Antti Toivanen <antti(dot)toivanen(at)telemerkki(dot)fi> said:

> [...]

Unlike Access' Auto_Increment fields, which are always read-only, PG (& most
other databases) uses sequences, which _can_ get the next number, or can
allow you to supply a number.

In my Access front-ends, I usually hide this column in datasheet view, and,
change the properties of the textbox on form view to mark it as read-only.
Very easy to do.

- J.

--

Joel BURTON | joel(at)joelburton(dot)com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant