Polygons passed to poly_overlap have 0 pts when column is indexed using rtree

From: "Kenneth Chan" <kkchan(at)technologist(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Polygons passed to poly_overlap have 0 pts when column is indexed using rtree
Date: 2002-05-28 18:06:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
This “feature” does not affect the original version of poly_overlap as only a bounding box test is preformed.  I modified poly_overlap in an attempt to improve the preciseness of poly_overlap.  The function works when the column is not indexed or when the column is indexed using  rtree_gist from the contrib section, but fails when the column is indexed using rtree.  Turned out that npts of the polygon retrieved from the table is 0 (the other polygon is a constant and its attributes are correct).  I suspect the “feature” might affect other functions that uses polygons->npts like poly_contain.  Would anyone happens to know the identity of the “offending” function might be?

TIA

Kenneth Chan
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup