Re: Triggers and System Tables.

From: stef(at)chronozon(dot)artofdns(dot)com (Stef Telford)
To: sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com, stef(at)chronozon(dot)artofdns(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Triggers and System Tables.
Date: 2002-05-28 05:35:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Hello,
> this is probably a really silly question, but where can i
> control wether or not the superuser/root user can create a trigger
> on a system table ?

In general this is not something you can safely do. I'm not sure if
pg_stat_activity modifications go through something that will fire
triggers, but in general you shouldn't expect that they will on system
tables.

It would make sense to assume that, even though the tables
in question are system tables, that triggers can be used
in unison with them. I do, of course, understand the
inherent dangers with attaching triggers (it could
be possible to attach a trigger that would delete user
logins) but then, this is what i want them -for- :)

The limitation would, to my untrained eye, appear to be
completely aberant. The ability to put triggers on
system tables would allow me to (using plpgsql)

* Limit and/or assign a 'number of logins'
* Create and/or use 'connection' or temporary 'global variables'

These may end up being 'quick and dirty' and by no means
tailored to maximum performance, but it would certainly
be a 'start' if nothing else.

regards
Stef