Re: Forgot admin pw on initialization/install RH 7.3/PGSQL7.2

From: Richard Poole <rp(at)guests(dot)deus(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forgot admin pw on initialization/install RH 7.3/PGSQL7.2
Date: 2002-05-24 11:44:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 11:20:27PM -0400, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> I made a dumb mistake, and forgot to write down the autogenerated
> administrator password when I first started the Postgres database on
> RedHat 7.3. I'm having a hard time finding information on how to do this
> online, and it's a tricky term to search the archives for, as well.

It's well described in Chapter 4 of the Administrators' Guide.

Find your pg_hba.conf file (in your data directory;
rpm -ql postgresql | grep pg_hba will find it for you) and edit it
so that you can connect with no password (add a line like
local all trust
above the other lines), then connect and set a password of your
choice, then edit pg_hba.conf back. You'll need to do "pg_ctl reload"
to get Postgres to see your changes to pg_hba.conf .

Richard