Re: [HACKERS] internal voting

From: Bartus Levente <bartus(dot)l(at)bitel(dot)hu>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] internal voting
Date: 2002-05-12 10:15:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On 2002.05.11 23:57 Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> On Sat, 11 May 2002, Bartus Levente wrote:

> > > Uhoh, now we have a problem, unless your version is going to form
> the
> > > initial repository or there's little or no impact across the
> > > preexisting code.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Sorry, but I cannot understand your last sentence. Could you explain
> > me, please?
>
> All I mean is that if your patches are making major changes to the
> majority of
> the files making up pgaccess and that the new CVS repository is going
> to be
> initialised from a version that does not have your patches _and_ that
> this
> initial version has been patched by others then there is possibly
> going to be a
> lot of work to bring your patches into CVS. On the hand I suppose this
> could
> just be viewed as the normal problem of merging patches so I'm
> inclined to not
> worry. However, if people are working on pgaccess at the moment then
> it is a good idea that their work is applied to pgaccess in the
> postgres tree
> so everyone else can get their hands on it while we wait for the new
> CVS.

We would like to merge our patches into the last release of the
pgaccess (apperently this is now in the postgres tree), and make this
for the future patches too.
So we set up pgaccess.org, with it's own cvs, mailing lists and
homepage. When Iavor searched for the last release almost a war started.

> I am assuming here that there is a new CVS repository coming along for
> pgaccess, that it will be initialised with the code from the postgres
> tree [and
> that pgaccess in the postgres tree will be synchronised frequently].

We would like to syncronise the postgres tree, and to give people a
place where they can find the software, tha latest release, can drop
wishes, and browse the to-do list easier. Is there any to-do list in
the postgres package regarding the pgaccess?

> > I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, I just want to help this
> > software to be better, nothing more.
>
> Mine aren't hurt :)
>

> --
> Nigel J. Andrews