Re: Civility of core/hackers group

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,"Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,"PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Civility of core/hackers group
Date: 2002-04-29 23:25:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 30 April 2002 02:36 am, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > We have been very fortunate to have avoided such problems since we
> > started six years ago, and I hope it never happens.

> There sure are a lot of arguments in the hackers list tho :)  I do wish
> people would be a little less 'ad hominem' in their argument styles,
> however.

Well, Chris, having been a Usenet user for over ten years (and a C-News admin
for the first three of that), I've seen 'discussions' that were really ad
hominem.  I've seen stuff that wouldn't even be found on slashdot.  Visit the
old archives on google of alt.flame.  Or news.groups.  Or even the civil
news.admin.... :-)

This group is far and away the most civil public development group I have ever
seen.  Really.  No joke.

> It would be an interesting thing to consider what would happen to the
> Postgres project if Tom left one day...

Oooohhhh, don't give me nightmares!  Tom is the original 'Bugzilla' in my
book.  But it's still educational to se how he got started, and how recent
that really was.

Of course, PostgreSQL existed before he came in, and PostgreSQL would exist
afterwards -- that is, after all, the beauty of free software.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio