Re: Cygwin-Postgres-IpcMemoryCreate

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Barry Pederson <bp(at)barryp(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin-Postgres-IpcMemoryCreate
Date: 2002-04-29 19:27:16
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Barry,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:02:04PM -0500, Barry Pederson wrote:
> So if people need another way to reproduce the problem, one way at least
> for me is to create a new database, import a single extremely large
> (100+mb) object, pg_dump it with something like: pg_dump -b -Ft -f
> foo.pgdump.tar mydbname, and then try to restore it with something like:
> pg_restore -Ft -d mydbname foo.pgdump.tar

Thanks for the test case.

> It'll only take one or two tries for the backend to bail out.

So, it doesn't happen every time? Sounds like a timing issue that
triggers the infamous MS Windows "feature" that prevents two processes
from opening the same file.

> So maybe there is something funky going on with link/unlink, and rename
> would be a better choice on cygwin.

Would someone be willing to take the lead of this one and strace or
debug (i.e., via gdb) this problem? If so, I would be willing to take
the results to pgsql-patches or cygwin-developers as appropriate.

Thanks,
Jason