Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-25 01:29:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> > > Why ?
> > > I don't think the items are exclusive.
> >
> > Well, 2 says roll back only after transaction aborts,
>
> Sorry for my poor understanding.
> Isn't it 1 ?

OK, original email attached. 1 rolls back all SETs in an aborted
transaction. 2 ignores SETs after transaction aborts, but SETs before
the transaction aborted are honored. 3 honors all SETs.

In the case of:

SET x=1;
BEGIN;
SET x=2;
query_that_aborts_transaction;
SET x=3;
COMMIT;

at the end, should 'x' equal:

1 - All SETs are rolled back in aborted transaction
2 - SETs are ignored after transaction abort
3 - All SETs are honored in aborted transaction
? - Have SETs vary in behavior depending on variable

Our current behavior is 2.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us