Re: Hardware needed for 15,000,000 record DB?

From: Ragnar Kjørstad <postgres(at)ragnark(dot)vestdata(dot)no>
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert(at)velocet(dot)ca>
Cc: Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy(at)wellsgaming(dot)com>, Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware needed for 15,000,000 record DB?
Date: 2002-04-23 23:18:10
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-novice

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 01:44:40PM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:
> I believe this is due to the SCSI disk having software that will
> momentarily stop processing requests to perform a recalibration
> ... where IDE drives may only do this when they are idle for some
> small period of time.

Another reason is that IDE drives often have higher densities. A 160 GB
SCSI disk have a lot of plates (8?), while IDE drives with the same
capacity typicly have only one or two. It basicly means that the disk is
more sensitive to errors.

(Numbers above may not be correct for all IDE and SCSI-disks, they are
just meant as an illustration)

This, like many other IDE/SCSI issues is not a IDE-problem per-say -
it's just (like it was written earlier in the thread) that SCSI-disks
are typicly designed for servers, while IDE disks are typicly designed
for workstations.

--
Ragnar Kjørstad
Big Storage