Re: [SQL] 16 parameter limit

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, jproctor(at)prium(dot)net, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] 16 parameter limit
Date: 2002-04-16 03:57:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-sql

Neil Conway wrote:

> > > If you want to increase it, let's just increase it and not add any more
> > > configure options. If someone wants more than 32 then we really need to
> > > start talking about design issues.
> >
> > Why not give them the configure option? It's not good HCI to impose
> > arbitrary limits on people...?
>
> It's not an arbitrary limit -- users can easily change pg_config.h.

Let me just point out that you have to change pg_config.h.in and run
configure _or_ change pg_config.h and _never_ run configure again. It
is this complexity that makes a configure option look acceptable.

Maybe we should pull some of the hard-coded, non-configure stuff from
pg_config.h into a separate file and just include it from pg_config.h.

> > We can default it to 32, since there's demand for it. If a particular user
> > decided to configure it higher, then they do that knowing that it may cause
> > performance degradation. It's good to give them that choice though.
>
> What if someone actually uses functions with more than 32
> arguments? Their code will not longer be portable among
> PostgreSQL installations, and they'll need to get the local
> admin to recompile.

It is usually C++ overloading functions that use lots of args, or
functions that pass every table column into the function. In those
cases, I can easily see 32 params.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us