psql command line history not working

From: Charlie Toohey <ctoohey(at)pacbell(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql command line history not working
Date: 2002-04-15 17:53:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am trying to get command line history and editing to work with psql, as
life is a pain without it.

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on Linux.

Documenation on this subject is very archaic, but I have done the following
so far:

- installed readline library
- run ./configure with the following command line options
--with-libs=/usr/local/lib --with-includes=/usr/local/include

I am still getting quite a few errors in the config.log file when I run gmake:

- after "checking for readline" there are a bunch of errors, such as
"undefined reference to tputs", "undefined reference to tgoto", etc.
followed by "failed program was: #line 3111 "configure" "

- in the block beginning with "int main() { readline() " I get "cannot find
-ledit" --- but I haven't been able to find the edit library anywhere

- the following block gives "undefined reference to setproctitle" when
checking for setproctitle in -lutil

- int main() { setproctitle.. in turn fails because of "cannot find lsocket"
again, I can not find the socket library anywhere

and so on...

Does anyone have a list of what needs to be installed to get psql command
line history to work on Linux ? (and WHERE I can find these libraries, etc..?)

Thanks In Advance,
Charlie