Re: 7.2 crash...

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.2 crash...
Date: 2002-04-14 16:52:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Here is a patch with a fix outlined by Tom:

test=> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION runMaintenance()
test-> RETURNS BOOL AS '
test'> VACUUM;
test'> SELECT TRUE;
test'> ' LANGUAGE sql;
CREATE
test=>
test=> select runMaintenance();
ERROR: VACUUM cannot be executed from a function

Looks good. Will commit after typical delay.

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca> writes:
> > 7.2 crashes with the below function:
> > CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION runMaintenance()
> > RETURNS BOOL AS '
> > VACUUM;
> > SELECT TRUE;
> > ' LANGUAGE sql;
>
> AFAICS there is no way that we can support VACUUM inside a function;
> the forced transaction commits that VACUUM performs will recycle any
> memory allocated by the function executor, leading to death and
> destruction upon return from VACUUM.
>
> Accordingly, what we really need is a way of preventing VACUUM from
> executing in the above scenario. The IsTransactionBlock() test it
> already has isn't sufficient.
>
> I have thought of something that probably would be sufficient:
>
> if (!MemoryContextContains(QueryContext, vacstmt))
> elog(ERROR, "VACUUM cannot be executed from a function");
>
> This is truly, horribly ugly ... but it'd get the job done, because only
> interactive queries will generate parsetrees in QueryContext.
>
> Can someone think of a better way?
>
> regards, tom lane

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size