PostgreSQL 7.2.1-2PGDG RPMs available for RedHat-skipjack 7.2.93 and RedHat 6.2/SPARC

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL 7.2.1-2PGDG RPMs available for RedHat-skipjack 7.2.93 and RedHat 6.2/SPARC
Date: 2002-04-14 03:48:22
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

RPMs for 7.2.1 are immediately available for download from
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.2.1/RPMS

Binary RPMs available are for RedHat-skipjack 7.2.93 and RedHat 6.2/SPARC, and
the source RPM is in SRPMS.

To rebuild on RedHat 7.x, simply rpm --rebuild if you have the necessary
development packages installed. In particular, since tk is a build target,
the development libs for X are required for the full build. See
README.rpm-dist, available in the source RPM, for details on the conditional
build system.

To rebuild on RedHat 6.2, use 'rpm --define "build6x 1" --rebuild' to rebuild.
The build6x option disables SSL, kerberos, and NLS support, as well as tuning
the dependencies for Red Hat 6.2 versus 7.x. If you have gettext, krb5,
and/or OpenSSL installed on your RedHat 6.2 box (those packages are not stock
options in a usable form), visit the postgresql.spec file and edit the top
few lines accordingly. However, since the 6.2 package dependencies are
modifiied by the build6x option, you still need to define it. And don't
define it to 0 for non-6.x builds, as the state of being undefined or defined
is used as a conditional as well.

Please see the changelog included in postgresql.spec in the source RPM for
details on what else has changed.

There are a few patches and fixes I still need to apply from people, but these
RPMs are stable and build on both RHL 7.2.93 (skipjack public beta) and
RedHat 6.2/SPARC (the only RHL 6.2 machine I have available to me). I will
be uploading RPMs built on stock fully updated RHL 7.2 Monday.

Incidentally, the 7.2.93 (skipjack) public beta is a serious improvement over
RHL 7.2, and I personally recommend it, as KDE 3 is worth the upgrade, even
to a beta.

My apologies for the long delay since the 7.2-1 RPM release. Since RedHat 6.2
support seemed important to many people, I took my time making sure I could
actually rebuild on RHL 6.2. This required me to have a 6.2 box at my
disposal to build upon. So I bought a SPARCclassic for $1.25 off ebay,
outfitted it with 64MB RAM and a 4.5GB SCSI HD, and installed RHL 6.2/sparc
on it. And it took a long time to figure out what was broken with the
sparc32 build system on it. But I got it figured out and fixed, and it now
builds. On a SPARCclassic (sun4m, MicroSPARC I @ 50MHZ) the build is very
long (over 1 hour), but you can't beat the price, and the reliability of the
hardware. Plus, it's quite cute.

NOTE: I will only directly support RHL 7.2 and later on Intel, and 6.2 on
SPARC. RHL 7.1 and RHL 7.0 are not directly supported by me as I have no
machines running those versions at my disposal. In addition, I will only
support RedHat 6.2 on SPARC directly -- and my SPARCclassic has _all_ the
errata installed, including the RPM 4.x packages. To use my source RPM's you
will need a version of RPM that understands features available to RPM 4.x.

I do have access to a Caldera/SCO OpenUnix box using Linux emulation thanks to
Larry Rosenman, even though I've not availed myself of that access as yet.
Other none-RedHat RPM-based distributions are not directly supported by me,
although SuSE 7.3 on UltraSparc may be supported in the future, as I have an
Ultra 5 running that dist.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio