Re: Bug #631: pg_dumpall does not accept -F or -f

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, donald(dot)a(dot)pellegrino(at)usa(dot)dupont(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #631: pg_dumpall does not accept -F or -f
Date: 2002-04-11 04:55:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> > However, it seems we should explicitly throw an error if someone tries
> > to use these flags.
>
> I agree with Bruce that it's be friendlier if pg_dumpall did a little
> more checking. Not a real high priority, perhaps.

OK, Donald, I have added this patch to CVS that will return a proper
error message when invalid pg_dumpall options are used. I added the
options mentioned in the pg_dumpall manual page, plus -F (which wasn't
mentioned in the manual page).

The reason -Ft can't be used is that ASCII SQL commands are output by
pg_dumpall, and these can't be merged with non-ASCII pg_dump output
formats.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size