Errors creating my first database

From: kent(dot)rigby(at)att(dot)net
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Errors creating my first database
Date: 2002-04-01 15:33:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have been trying to get started with PostgreSQL, and
it hasn't been going
well. I installed, ran initdb, but when I try to create
a database with
createdb I get an error that "username" does not exist.
OK, so I try to use
createuser to create the user name and I get a
different, though equally
frustrating, error. I have shut down my Linux box out
of frustration so I
can't tell you all the exact error, sorry. One of the
errors I am getting
is about a locking file that I don't have permissions
for.

Obviously I am doing something wrong here. I have read
and re-read the
Tutorial, User's Manual and Admin Manual, tried to
follow the procedures in
the manual, but no luck.

Could someone please help me get started here. I am new
to Linux and part
of my frustration is that all the manuals assume an
intermediate level of
experience with Linux/UNIX. I don't have that and at
this rate I can't see
that I ever will.

Get the award winning ISP, AT&T WorldNet Service
http://download.att.net/webtag