Re: Mailing List Question

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2002-03-29 05:38:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> > imho we should disable *any* special handling of posts to the mailing
> > lists.
>
> It would be interesting to try that for awhile and see if the cure is
> worse than the disease or not.  How many clueless "uns*bscr*be" requests
> will hit the lists if there are no filters?

To be honest, not many ... 50% of what I have to moderate are plain and
simply spam (and that isn't an exaggeration, I wiped out something like
150 out of 350 messages the other day) ... maybe about 25% are duplicate
postings ... I'd say <1% are subscribe/unsubscribe ... and the rest are
mostly from ppl not subscribed to the lists at all ...

Let me disable the administrative stuff being blocked and we'll see if it
makes much of a difference in the way of 'false traffic' ...