Re: The future of pgAdmin II...

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "'boylesa(at)roselink(dot)co(dot)uk'" <boylesa(at)roselink(dot)co(dot)uk>,Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: The future of pgAdmin II...
Date: 2002-03-28 07:19:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
> To be honest, Python is the only one of those I've heard of. Do you know
> any good sites I could look at or should I just use Google?

Dear all,

1) WxWindows
http://www.wxWindows.org
http://www.wxWindows.org/screensh.htm

2) WxPython
http://www.wxpython.org
http://www.wxpython.org/wxpshots.php

3) GUI
http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/
http://www.roebling.de/default.html (10 user licence = 399 EUR)
http://www.mema.ucl.ac.be/~rolinsky/xrced/
http://wxworkshop.sourceforge.net
http://wxstudio.sourceforge.net

4) http://www.roebling.de/info.html
........ Begin of extract
wxDesigner is a tool written to make creating dialogs for wxWindows based
programs easy and fast.

wxWindows is a cross-platform toolkit and it thus cannot make use of native
resource formats as they typically exist for many platforms. For that reason,
wxWindows has been optimized over time to make writing dialogs by hand as
easy as possible, but this approach has limitations as soon as dialogs reach
a certain complexity. Even without the inevitable number of typos, writing
nice looking dialogs is a hassle and reordering the items in a dialog often
amounts to rewriting the dialog from scratch. In addtion to being quite some
work, writing dialogs also requires a profound and exact knowledge of the
syntax used for creating and positioning dialog items.

Another problem when writing dialogs using the wxWindows library is that some
users might want to make use of the RAD features of the Python bindings
during development, but create a native binary using C++ at the end. This
would entail rewriting (or at least reediting considerably) all dialog
related code. [...]
........ End of extract

Does it mean we can develop a visual application in an interpreted language
using Python bindings .. and obtain a native compiled binary in the end?

This seems very exciting.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel