Re: Checking if a table locked from pl/pgsql

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Hal Davison <hal(at)faams(dot)net>
Cc: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>,Jose Luis LG <jlopezgonz(at)terra(dot)es>,"'PostgreSQL-interfaces'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checking if a table locked from pl/pgsql
Date: 2002-03-27 15:36:39
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hal Davison wrote:

> In an operational sense, if a user is updating a table for some accounting
> function then decides to go to lunch leaving the table locked.

    Exactly  what  I  expected.  You have a severe design flaw in
    your application. Database transactions have to be short  and
    never  held over actions that could infinitely block, such as
    user interaction, period!

    You need application  level  advisory  locks.  The  abuse  of
    database  locks  for  that  will  not  get you very far. Your
    application will not scale and suffer from problems like  the
    one you already face.

    Ever   thought   about   adding   a  WEB  interface  to  that
    application? If a user editing some account needs to  hold  a
    DB   lock   all  the  time,  you'll  not  implement  it  with
    Apache/PHP, that's for sure already. And you'll have to  make
    alot  of  painfull pushups to do it with any other WEB server
    technology.

Jan