Bug #624: case sensitivity in pg_dumpall

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #624: case sensitivity in pg_dumpall
Date: 2002-03-26 13:53:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Volker Klemann (volkerk(at)gfz-potsdam(dot)de) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
case sensitivity in pg_dumpall

Long Description
Dear people from postgres,
Don't know if I am the first where this bug appeared:
While updating from 7.1.2 to 7.2 I used pg_dumpall to dump
my data as recommended by the INSTALL manual.
When re-instaling the database using
psql -d template1 -f dumpfile
I got the error
	\connect: FATAL 1:  Database "rsl" does not exist in the system catalog.
The corresponding lines in the script produced by pg_dumpall are:
46	\connect RSL volkerk
So, while considering upper and lower cases in 45: using collons
the program missed them in 46:, and tried to log into rsl instead of RSL.
Took me some time to find it, because first 'was searching for
inconsistencies, in the new installation.

Best wishes,
Volker Klemann

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report