Re: pg_dump and transactions

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ferdinand Smit <ferdinand(at)telegraafnet(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and transactions
Date: 2002-03-21 14:43:20
Lists: pgsql-patches
Can you explain the COPY troubles you have had.  Seems like a problem.

What about this patch which batches INSERTS into transaction blocks?
Seems if you are worried about performance, you should be using COPY.  I
am not inclined to apply it but rather find out why COPY isn't working
for this person.

Ferdinand Smit wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have lots of trouble with using the COPY dump, so we always use de INSERT
> mode. Because the INSERT mode does'nt use transactions, this methode is very
> slow.
>
> This (simple) patch creates (if the -T flag is set) a transaction of every
> insert block, so de import is mostly 10 times faster.
>
> I hope you like it.
> Regards,
>
> Ferdinand

[ Attachment, skipping... ]