Re: Eurodates by default

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Yury Bokhoncovich <byg(at)center-f1(dot)ru>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Eurodates by default
Date: 2002-03-20 16:20:20
Lists: pgsql-patches
Yury Bokhoncovich wrote:
> [...]
>
> Folks, I do not see any serious reason to avoid compile-time option for
> people whom know what they are doing. The rest can sleep with peace w/o
> it. Contrary, the benefit for me is certain: skipping unneccesary checks.
> If somebody does not know about, this means that man can live without it.
> There is many option in various software which i do not know what is
> it for. Nevertheless this prevents neither me nor packagers to compile
> with necessary options only.
> "IF" will cost something, why did it need if I ALWAYS set the same
> condition? This will be just an optional feature.
>

> > What we want to do is integrate the SET DateStyle variable into GUC
> > somehow, but I'm not entirely happy with the current behavior and have
> > been unable to agree with Thomas Lockhart on how to do it.  But it will
> > get done eventually.
>
> In case of DateStyle I need a values which will set Postgres,Euro per
> one hop. And there should be "-e" option in postmaster. Suggestions?

    As suggested before, do it with GUC variables. This means you
    can have compile time defaults that can be overridden in  the
    config file or with startup options.

    GUC  variables  are  the preferred mechanism for that sort of
    thing nowadays in the PostgreSQL project.  It might look easy
    to  you  to code it as "-e" now, but add the amount of effort
    you'd need to get that into the CVS (could be  infinite)  and
    you'll realize that it's finally not the easy way.

Jan