Re: Adding usernames to pg_hba.conf

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding usernames to pg_hba.conf
Date: 2002-03-19 16:05:42
Lists: pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > 	o  removes secondary password file support
> > 	o  adds a user name column just after the database column
> > 	o  allows a comma separated list of usernames or databases
> > 	o  allows another file to contain a list of username/databases
> > 	   by preceding the pg_hba.conf entry with '@'
> > 	o  allow single or double-quoting of user/database names
>
> How do you plan to get around the compatibility issues?

Good question.  We could just announce in the 7.3 release notes that
people have to add a new column after DATABASE for user, and default it
to "all".  We could move the USER column to the end, which would present
less of a compatibility issue, but does cause problems with the optional
auth_argument.  I can write a script to convert old pg_hba.conf files.
We could also throw a more helpful error if old files are used.  Do you
have a suggestion?