Re: create database, user

From: Thorsten Haude <postgresql(at)thorstenhau(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create database, user
Date: 2002-03-17 16:43:50
Lists: pgsql-novicepgsql-php

* Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> [02-03-10 20:16]:
>> - I have still not grasped how I should connect to the DBMS for
>>  things
>> like that; there is no root. Is there a document describing best
>> practices somewhere?
>First, read:

>Your "root" user for PostgreSQL should be the user "postgres", unless
> you have used a non-standard install.  In a secure system, the
> postgres user should belong to the group "daemon", own the pgsql/
> driectory tree, and have a secure password, both on the system and on
> the database.  The postgres user will also own the databases template1
> and template0.  In a regular install, the postgres user will have
> inhereted whatever passowrd it had on the host system.
I think I understand the role of the template dbs, but why are there
two of them?

>This will give you a new database with wwwuser as its owner.  wwwuser
> will have full rights on all database objects.  However, this is a not
> terribly secure setup, and I wouldn't reccomend it for any public
> website.
Well, this will never reach the Internet, it is completely in-home.
But since one of the purposes of this application is the learning
effect, I'll follow your advice.

>You may wish to subscribe to the pgsql-php or pgsql-perl mailing lists.
I'll do that.

Thank you!

There is no drug known to man which becomes safer when its
production and distribution are handed over to criminals.