Re: Survey results on Oracle/M$NT4 to PG72/RH72 migration

From: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)IDEALX(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>, Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)idealx(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, David BARTH <dbarth(at)idealx(dot)com>, Nat MAKAREVITCH <nat(at)idealx(dot)com>, Nicolas NICLAUSSE <nicolas(dot)niclausse(at)idealx(dot)com>, Sébastien DINOT <sebastien(dot)dinot(at)idealx(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Survey results on Oracle/M$NT4 to PG72/RH72 migration
Date: 2002-03-15 09:25:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > AFAIK some SQL/C type precompilers and other frontend tools for other
> > databases do generate stored procedures for PREPAREd CURSORs.
>
> You mean ECPG should/could replace a PEPARE statement with a CREATE
> FUNCTION and then the usage of the cursor with the usage of that
> function?
>
> Should be possible, but needs some work.

Wow Michael, this would be much much much appreciated. :-)

> > I'm afraid ECPG does not :(
>
> That's correct of course.
> Michael

Thanks. Then we know our conclusions on the survey are right.

We hope functionality about prepared cursors, bind variables, etc will
come soon in PG :-)

We actually think about solutions to patch PostgreSQL and contribute
this way, adding a feature we need for business.

Thanks.

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO IDEALX S.A.S
Consultant bases de données 15-17, av. de Ségur