Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes
Date: 2002-03-11 02:29:29
Lists: pgsql-patches
pgman wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > OK, I propose that we do the index part of this patch too.  No one seems
> > > to know if seting the index user id to zero in pg_class will break
> > > things so we may as keep it consistent.  Can you send that over?
> >
> > What would it break?  Joins against pg_user should use outer joins anyway.
> > I don't think this is the right direction.  It's just a waste of code.
>
> To me, maintaining it is very low cost and we don't know for sure people
> are using outer joins for all their system table access. We only added
> outer joins in pg_dump and psql in the past year or two.

Actually, more to the point, the table owner does own the indexes.  I
know that is is always true, but if someone is spinning through pg_class
and wants to find everything owned by a specific person, without joining
to pg_index, keeping the user id correct on indexes is helpful.

pgsql-patches by date

Next:From: Yury BokhoncovichDate: 2002-03-11 09:30:53