create database, user

From: Thorsten Haude <postgresql(at)thorstenhau(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: create database, user
Date: 2002-03-10 18:23:06
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-php

Hi,

I want to create a database and a matching user for a web application.
I want to do all that from an SQL file but I have problems with both
'create database' and 'create user'.

- I have still not grasped how I should connect to the DBMS for things
like that; there is no root. Is there a document describing best
practices somewhere?

- Are there any special provisions you have to follow to do create
database, user, tables and other object with one SQL file?

For the ones knowing MySQL, what I want to do is something like this:
- - - Schnipp - - -
[Connect as Administrator]
create database dbName;

grant all
on dbName
to userName
identified by 'secret';

use inventory;

create table items
(
[...]
);
- - - Schnapp - - -

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thorsten
--
Die Zensur ist das lebendige Geständnis der Großen, daß sie nur
verdummte Sklaven aber keine freien Völker regieren können.