Re: Linux Distributions

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Peter Darley" <pdarley(at)kinesis-cem(dot)com>, "Pgsql-Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux Distributions
Date: 2002-03-07 00:44:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thursday 07 March 2002 01:02, Peter Darley wrote:
> Ian,
> By better I guess I mean faster. I'm looking to get the most speed out of
> my database without having to invest in new hardware.
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Then I don't think the PostgreSQL binaries provided in any given distribution
will have any significant bearing on the matter; what will play a role is
1) how well does the distribution support your hardware;
2) whether your hardware is tuned optimally (BIOS, HD parameters etc.);
3) how PostgreSQL is built and configured

1 and 2 are beyond the scope of this list. How the PostgreSQL binaries
were built (self-built or distribution-supplied) will probably have less
of an effect on speed than the configuration (although as mentioned
distributions often lag behind a version or two; the newer the version,
the better the support), which very much depends on you and your hardware.

HTH

Ian Barwick