Re: help understanding libpq++

From: jtv <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Ted Petrosky <tedpet(at)symcom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: help understanding libpq++
Date: 2002-03-04 21:16:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:28:37AM -0500, Ted Petrosky wrote:

> I have been working with Mac OSX (postgresql runs just fine) and I want to
> start using the developers tools (project builder) however, I do not have the
> technical expertise to create a project using the libpq or pg++ libraries.

I'm not sure I catch your meaning entirely, but if what you mean is you want
to write programs that access a PostgreSQL database through libpq or libpq++,
I'd be willing to help.  It isn't very hard, although libpq++ is a bit
awkward in its interface.  The basic rule for learning it is to ignore the
PgCursor, PgLargeObject and PgConnection classes.  The latter may come in
handy but you'll never actually /need/ it, because PgDatabase only differs
from it in that it also lets you see query results.

And as I never fail to point out, I am working on a replacement called
libpqxx.  This requires a good compiler and a programmer used to advanced
C++ concepts, but given those requirements should be easier to use and use
well.

It can be found on my home page:

http://members.ams.chello.nl/j.vermeulen31/proj-libpqxx.html

Jeroen