Re: [ODBC] Multibyte ODBC

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Hiroshi Inoue'" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] Multibyte ODBC
Date: 2002-02-28 09:57:09
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-odbc

A very interesting article can be found at :
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#utf-8

> The psqlODBC driver doesn't export *any* W functions in it's .def.

I guess W stand for "Wide" character. W functions are for UCS-2 and UTF-16
data. Are W functions also needed for UTF-8 data? I doubt they are.

> So, could this be the problem? Access XP wants Unicode, but the driver is
> only providing it with UTF-8 encoded data (ie, multibyte data encoded into
> ASCII)?

Basically speaking, UTF-8 data is Unicode data encoded into ASCII. Therefore,
it is hard for any program to detect UTF-8 encoding.

Using OpenOffice, I can view UTF-8 ODBC data. $M Access might simply not
switch to UTF-8. So the question is: how do we tell Access2K that the
attached tables are UTF-8 and not plain ASCII.

In access, tables can be attached unsing VBA. There must be something like an
encoding setting in Access XP VBA.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE