Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article
Date: 2002-02-25 20:50:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > This is a nice article about tuning Oracle for Linux:
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5840
>
> I thought it was a tad amusing that his benchmarking setup was TPC-C
> driven by Benchmark Factory.
>
> (For those not in the know, this is exactly the setup that Great Bridge
> used a couple years ago for their much-maligned benchmarks... One would
> at least like to know what sort of networking is involved, seeing as
> how Benchmark Factory only runs on Windows.)

Benchmark Factory connects via ODBC to a database and runs
some queries. The queries might look similar to what a TPC-C
benchmark would look like, but be sure, it has nothing to do
with a real TPC-C implementation.

I analyzed the thing during my time at GB a little. There is
no system under test, stressed by simulated users. Instead
there is a simulated application stressing a database. The
database schema uses floating point fields for monetary data,
making the run of the constistency checks impossible. The
consistency after a benchmark run wouldn't be given anyway
because it doesn't really do what TPC-C defines.

And most important, it doesn't allow you to use the strength
of your database system! The TPC-C specs for example allow
you to move part of the logic into stored procedures and
functions. Impossible with that Benchmark Factory stuff.

All in all it produces some nice graphics, but that's it
IMNSVHO.

Jan