Re: [ODBC] pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support
Date: 2002-02-25 11:50:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgsql-odbc
Le Lundi 25 Février 2002 12:33, Dave Page a écrit :
> Yes, but my point is that setting the client encoding on the server worked
> for latin, so would the same work for EUC_JP? Following other emails
> though, I assume not because the PCs are already in latin1 and that is the
> big difference?

Latin is the other name for ISO-8859_1 which is the basic encoding of all
PCs. EUC_JP is not supported by Windows as it belongs to the Unix world.

But Windows has native support of Windows Japanese fonts. This is a
historical fact, before UTF-8, Windows could already display Japanese fonts.

So if we know what is the name of the encoding (let's call it WIN_JP), maybe
we can ask it be included in PostgreSQL server-side. This can easily be done
because PostgreSQL is based on Recode and iconv which support almost all
existing fonts/encodings.

Then, all we have to do is:
1) SET CLIENT_ENCODING = WIN_JP
2) select the right font in pgAdmin2
and this should work.

If it does not work, we can always ask a Japanese developper to recompile
pgAdmin2 on a localized version of VB. If there is a way to use VB under
Japanese systems, there is a solution for pgAdmin2...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE