Re: [ODBC] pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support
Date: 2002-02-25 09:14:43
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Le Lundi 25 Février 2002 10:02, Dave Page a écrit :
> So, to get this straight in my non multilingual brain, if you set client
> encoding to latin1 then european charsets (i.e. latin based) work perfectly
> in pgAdmin?
Yes.

> So probably we need to _at least_ do something similar for Japanese/Hebrew
> etc...
Yes.

PostgreSQL uses the recode library.

Recode can translate UTF-8 to any Windows encoding. i.e, it should be
possible to translate UTF-8 (server) to Hebrew (Windows encoding, client),
provided that Western VB is able to display Windows Hebrew fonts (which
should be the case, no?).

Otherwise we will have to ask users of VB localized versions to recompile
pgAdmin2. This should work anyway, in one case or another.

So users should be able to :
- choose client encoding,
- choose font for display.

Cheers,