Re: Working oin pgAdmin2

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Working oin pgAdmin2
Date: 2002-02-24 21:22:49
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le Dimanche 24 Février 2002 21:19, Dave Page a écrit :
> If a developer working on pgSchema cannot code the required SQL, then this
> is *not* the project for him to be hacking. That's like a cowboy who can't
> use a lassoo...

Let's say a French man without a baguette. Oh, now I see...

IMHO, this is not the question of knowing how to write SQL or not. It would
just be great to query legacy databases using pgAdmin2. This will help me
learn new things and improve my skills.

I only have the impression that if we move SQL out of Views.cls to pgViews,
and so on, we could consider pgViews to be a PostgreSQL provider. Let's call
this wheatever we like : SQL provider, SQL parser, SQL abstract layer. I
prefer "provider" as this is the term used by libgda.

Then, we only have to code providers to add new database access to pgAdmin.
Provider should also tell pgAdmin2 which features are available and which are
not.

So after ALTER TABLE and Cygwin installer, I will have a try, on a separate
folder. libgda is not well structured (plain C). I may not help this project
and will focus on pgSchema.

In between :
1) I still don't know how to refresh treeview when triggers change tables.

2) PostgreSQL 7.2 internals are really UTF-8, provided that the database is
Unicode. This is great for programming server-side. Unfortunately,
highlightBox is not really UTF-8 compatible.

Now, my problem is that Functions need to be written in UTF-8. Yes, my
friend, you read it. I can't even write an "é" or anything like "français" in
PLpgSQL code. During all the afternoon I fixed such errors in my code.

So what should we do? Buy some good utf-8 controls? Migrate to KDE3? Invest
in $M new VB for cowboys? Buy a new 2000 euros lassoo?

Maybe we should ask some more information to Hiroshi about UCS-2. I write a
mail and post it on ODBC right now.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel