Re: Duration of beta period

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duration of beta period
Date: 2002-02-24 12:51:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > It was a good period, but we were in beta longer than we were in
> > development.  That isn't good, and I think we could have shortened it if
> > we had pushed people to test beta sooner and harder, avoided some
> > sideroads in improving things that could have waited for 7.3, and pushed
> > a few people to complete bug fixes quicker than letting it all wait
> > until the end of beta.  Of course, I may be wrong.  :-)
>
> Where this a commercial product, your assessments would be correct ...
> but, alas, we aren't ... "pushing ppl" that are doing something because
> they enjoy it, and receive no compensation for it, is a very effective way
> of driving good ppl away ...

I see no problem in asking people for a date when they will complete
certain things, especially if everyone is waiting for them during beta.
If the date comes and nothing happens, we can ask them for a new date.
If the date is too far away, we can figure on another plan.  I agree
pressure is totally wrong, but asking for an estimate of completion
seems reasonable, and setting a date when we hope to be done may
encourage people to get started earlier.