Re: Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <jim(at)buttafuoco(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3
Date: 2002-02-23 01:52:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Jim, I see now that you submitted a new version. Folks, do we have a
> > direction for this patch.
>
> I didn't like it at the time, and still don't. We are not that far away
> from having proper tablespaces, and I think that kluges that provide
> part of the functionality will just get in the way when it comes time
> to do it right.

What kind of time frame is "not that far away"? For v7.3?

If not, and someone can clarify what I'm understanding this patch will do,
its essentially going to setup a directory structure of:

data/base/<dboid>/<tbloid>.idx/indx

?

If we aren't going to have tablespaces for v7.3, there we are talking 6->8
months before we do, and the above sounds like a reasonable interim
solution for this ...