Re: [ODBC] Unicode support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] Unicode support
Date: 2002-02-21 22:34:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgsql-odbc
> 1) When I try to view tables from Access XP, the arabic letters are not
> correctly displayed: I can see only the multibyte to single byte 1:1
> conversion. This is not that important because I don't need to see it in
> Access because the database will be seen through PHP on the web.

Dave Page wrote 30.000 lines of code for pgAdmin2... It is getting better
every day.

Access2K/XP + PostgreSQL support Unicode. You can use them to display both
French and Arabic. Althought I never tried, I know it is possible.

> 2) The most critical problem is that I cannot convert a table with both
> french letters with accents and arabic letters. Pgadmin seems to refuse
> french characters. So I've erased french records (at least records with
> accents) and the database has been transferred.

pgAdmin2 is not multi-byte safe for various ***serious*** reasons.

It means you cannot view Unicode data in pgAdmin2 grid. On the converse, you
can manage your database (add tables, views, triggers, etc...)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel